Wednesday 1 February 2017

Epilepsy

Hello everyone!


Today I thought I'd write about my Epilepsy.


I was diagnosed with Epilepsy on 2nd December 2016 after having seizures since May 2016. I have been diagnosed with myoclonic jerks, absence seizures, epileptic spasms and secondary generalised seizures. When I was diagnosed, my doctor said there was pretty much no doubt about it, I have Epilepsy. However, now they cannot seem to make their minds up whether it is all epileptic or not therefore I am obviously quite frustrated.
I am on AEDs (anti-epileptic drugs). I take Keppra (1000mg) twice daily. I also take Clonazepam (1.5mg) at night. On top on my Baclofen which I have been on for years (80mg per day) and painkillers (Codeine or Paracetamol), I take on average 25 pills a day and I am fifteen! So all the AEDs have side effects, basically 50% of the time I am quite out of it and the other 50% I am just really tired! I also cannot seem to concentrate very well or recall memories (maths lessons are a total nightmare!).
So, you get the idea. These few months have probably been some of toughest I have had in my lifetime. I have seizures most days and to be honest I am so tired I feel like I need to sleep for a day after each one of them so not only are the drugs making me tired so are the seizures. Basically, I am like a toddler, if I don't have a nap then I cannot function.
These seizures are also really disruptive and to be honest painful (I have never had bruises like seizure related ones!). I just really hope the doctors, my family and I can find a way to stop my brain from constantly miss behaving!
If you didn't know, because of my CP, I am 40% more likely to have Epilepsy as I have a small bit of brain damage and in my case, this brain damage is causing seizures.
To anyone in my classes or my friends at school, this is the reason I haven't been able to come in very much recently and if you see me leaving the room in a quick manner then it is probably because I have had a warning sign that I am about to have a seizure and need to get out of the classroom and into the corridor or similar and get down on the floor. To all my friends, thank you for bearing with me, supporting me and generally being there for me, I REALLY appreciate it so THANK YOU.


So this is it, all about my Epilepsy!
If you have any questions or things you would like to let me know then please fill in the contact form to your right or drop me an email: livingwithcerebralpalsyevie@outlook.com  
I'd love to hear from you! :)


Thank you all so much for reading and I hope you are having a great day.


Evie :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment