Tuesday 14 February 2017

An old Facebook post of mine

Hello my lovely readers!

I thought I would share something with you, this is a Facebook post that a wrote about a year ago to try and express my thoughts and feelings about how some able-bodied people saw me and others with disabilities and to try and get those individuals to think differently next time. Here it is....

'I love how I never used to feel different, disabled or less able than others. People used to accept me just the way I was and didn't care about the way I looked. But now people are so judgemental about disability. People are worried about what their friends will say if they spend time with the 'disabled girl'. People do not want to be seen with me. Everybody has imperfections, I just think that people should get over what's on the outside and be friends with the person within... the body instead of just going by looks. I didn't decide to be disabled, it just happened. My body is like anyone else's, there is nothing wrong with my legs. They are completely normal. There is just a tiny bit of damage to my brain which means that it doesn't send signals to my muscles correctly causing me to look slightly 'different'. I wasn't even born disabled. It happened in the first few days of my life because I was born at 29 weeks and my brain couldn't cope. What a lot of people don't realise is my cerebral palsy affects everything I do from walking to writing and eating to sleeping. My disability affects my hands as well as my legs, this is why you will see my hands in fists when I'm tired. I've had to learn to accept that I'll always be disabled and that there is no cure or treatment which will change that. I am happy with who I am so why can't you be? I'm in pain 24/7, I fall a lot which is really scary for me because I can't stop it. It takes so much effort for me to walk even 10 steps. I have had to cope with all this and I don't want to have to endure people being horrible as well. Please can you be more considerate and see the person instead of the disability. Thank you :)'

I still completely believe in those words I wrote so long ago, everything I said then still applies now.

Thank you for reading and I hope you are having a good day.
Evie :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment