Monday 6 March 2017

Living with Medication!

Hiya,
I hope you all had a lovely weekend. This post us all about the ups and downs of living with regular medication. I have been on lots of different meds so please be aware this may be a long one!
As all of you probably know, I have Cerebral Palsy. Cerebral Palsy is caused by brain injury before, during or just after birth. I was born at 29 weeks and had a small brain haemorrhage which led to me having brain damage and as a result I have Spastic Diplegic Cerebral Palsy. Spastic Diplegia basically means all my muscles are stiffer than they should be, all four of my limbs are affected but my legs are more affected than my arms and my left side is worse than my right.

Let's move on to medication, as my muscles are stiff I can experience painful spasms, these got drastically worse when I was about ten or eleven. To reduce my discomfort, I was prescribed Baclofen, which is a muscle relaxant, this medication really helped my spasms but it also loosened me up generally so I was able to do more and walk further which was a bonus! I have now been on Baclofen at 80mg per day for over four years and it has been really beneficial to me.

As a result of having CP, I experience chronic pain, CP is just a very painful condition! Aha. Therefore, I take painkillers frequently, mainly Paracetamol but on a bad day especially after cluster seizures, I have been prescribed Codeine which really does help.

Recently, as you may know I have been experiencing seizures, since last May to be precise. In December 2016, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy and put on Anti Epileptic Drugs called Levetiracetam (Keppra) and Clonazepam. I am on top dose now and my seizures, even though I am not seizure free, have been significantly reduced. I am on 1250mg twice a day of Keppra and 1.5mg of Clonazepam at night.

So there you go, all my medications! 23 pills a day plus painkillers if needed, everyone says I must rattle! Aha. I have previously been on Diazepam but as I was put on Clonazepam to help control my seizures, there has been no need for that over the past few months. I also take vitamins once a day because apparently they can help reduce pain?! Whether this is true or not I'll never know but it is always good to take extra Vitamin D!

I am sorry if this post hasn't been very interesting but I really aim to post weekly and I didn't want to let anyone down. To be honest, I am struggling for topics so please if you have any ideas please comment, email or Facebook message me! I'd love to hear from you. If you are looking for something slightly more exciting and interesting I'll link a few of my more 'popular' blog posts for you to check out:
http://livingwithcerebralpalsyevie.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/what-is-it-like-to-have-friend-with.html
What is it like to have a friend with Cerebral Palsy?

http://livingwithcerebralpalsyevie.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/oh-joys-of-hospital-appointments.html
Oh the joys of hospital appointments!

http://livingwithcerebralpalsyevie.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/common-stereoypes-surrounding-disability.html
Common Stereotypes Surrounding Disability

http://livingwithcerebralpalsyevie.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/an-old-facebook-post-of-mine.html
An old Facebook post of mine

Here is a link to my Facebook so if you'd like to get in touch please do!
https://www.facebook.com/evie.lemon.18

Thank you for reading and I hope you have a lovely rest of your day.
Evie :) x




No comments:

Post a Comment