Sunday 29 September 2019

Is it possible to go to medical school with Cerebral Palsy?

Hi everyone,

I haven't written a blog post in over 18 months and during this break, my outlook on education and life, in general, has changed a lot. From barely believing I could pass my GCSEs to realising that my aspiration to go to medical school is actually on the table.

I have just started Sixth Form, having completed my GCSEs. Thankfully, due to my results, I have been able to take the subjects I need and want to do to have a shot at medical school: Chemistry, Biology, Religious Studies, and Psychology.

Now, only a few weeks in, I am starting to realise how tough the next two years are going to be as I am no longer just looking to pass my exams, I am hoping to excel in them. School is always difficult if you have a physical disability, not only because of the fatigue and the huge volume of work but also coping with ignorant peers can be a challenge in itself! I am trying to just get into the mindset of work and looking after myself: I shouldn't worry about what other people think or say although the ignorance can be frustrating and hurtful at times. I honestly just wish people had more empathy sometimes. However, nothing will stop me when I have my mindset on something and for now, this is the pathway to Medicine.

Yesterday, I went to an Open Day at Plymouth University. It was extremely interesting and gave me hope and reassurance: I shouldn't just give up on trying to study medicine because of my disability and the obvious barrier it can sometimes carry with it. I spoke with current medical students who were all very helpful and positive about the situation. There is no denying that Medicine is one of the most competitive and difficult courses to get into but luckily there is one important personality trait which I definitely don't lack: determination.

Now, another question is would it be physically possible for me to be a doctor? The short answer is yes. Of course, I would have to adapt some aspects of the job and probably require more breaks than usual but with lots of research and support from the university I come to choose, I'm sure my physical limitations aren't going to bar me from becoming a doctor.

Luckily, I don't apply until next October, therefore, I have lots of time to continue with my research, visit universities and build up my stamina required for such a rigorous course. Mainly though, I'll be focusing on my A-Levels with the hope to achieve the best grades possible.

Through my experiences growing up with a disability, I truly believe I have empathy and understanding which other Medicine applicants may lack. I hope this insight into what it is like to be the patient helps me if I am able to get into medical school.

Thank you for reading and I hope to write again soon.

~Evie

1 comment:

  1. hi dear, thank you for providing such useful information to your blog readers. Am searching for Cerebral palsy treatment if you have any recommendations or suggestions please reply here. Am waiting for your reply.

    ReplyDelete